Monday, August 15, 2011

Retromania


Just received in the post, a copy of a spiffy little hardback edition of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? done up in early 1960s Gollancz yellow-jacket style (inducing in me vertiginous nostalgia for the SF novels in like livery that I read way back when, when I first started reading SF), with a short introduction what I wrote.*  An honour to be asked; a joy to reread the novel, and rediscover how swift, and sad, and funny it is.

It's due out on the 1st of September, part of the 50th birthday celebrations of Gollancz's science-fiction and fantasy line.  Four other SF novels and five fantasy novels will be published in the same format at the same time.  They were chosen by readers from a short list of eligible** titles.  You can find the listings and other details here.

*readers old enough to remember searching out Gollancz yellowbacks in their local libraries will get the reference at once
**that is, titles to which Gollancz have the hardback rights

3 Comments:

Anonymous Andrew S. said...

Ah, each yellowback an education in SF (Terry Carr's Best of Year anthologies in particular). I'm given to understand that John Jarrold was head librarian at my local library, so it was incredibly well-stocked with Gollancz (and other) SF. Bliss!

August 16, 2011 9:05 am  
Blogger Vic said...

I hope you avoided mentioned Blade Runner in your intro...

August 18, 2011 5:04 am  
Anonymous Pat said...

The memories bring me some sunshine.

August 18, 2011 11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts